Take some cues from the bright colors and iconic ornament shapes of a mid-century Christmas and make this colorful collection of glass baubles for your tree. To make this project easier, you can start with solid colored ornaments and use the spray-bottle technique to decorate them.
Click through for the step-by-step instructions…
• Glass ornaments
• Spray paint
• Acrylic craft paint
• Spray bottle
• Styrofoam block (optional)
• Pins (optional)
1. Make a drying rack by inserting pins into styrofoam block in a 1″ by 1″ grid; you can also hang the ornaments to paint them. Using spray paint, completely cover ornament with a base color. Be sure to do this in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety instructions. Let dry completely.
2. In a small spray bottle, mix acrylic craft paint with a small amount of water (amount will vary depending on the brand of paint). Thin it just enough so that it’s sprayable—too much water will make it run.
3. Hold the ornament sideways with the bottom facing you. Give the bottom of the ornament a spritz of the acrylic paint mixture. This works best if the spray bottle is kept completely vertical. This part can be messy, so be sure to do this in an protected area.
4. Immediately hang ornament or place on drying rack, and let any excess paint drip off the bottom. Let dry completely.