VELLUM OVERLAY HOLIDAY CARDS
If you’re looking for that extra special touch for your holiday card this season, a sheer vellum overlay is a stylish choice. This luxurious layer can be added to any photo or art print card (sold separately). Imagine your friends and family opening your holiday card to reveal this stunning design detail. All of our cards are designed by our community of artists and designers from around the world and a vellum overlap is a stunning accent that is sure to make your holiday card stand out. Sometimes it’s the little details that count!
WHAT IS A VELLUM OVERLAY?
A vellum overlay is a translucent paper layer that is sent with your holiday card for that extra special touch of elegance. The overlay can be used for effect only, but it can also be a place to include a holiday greeting such as “Peace!” “Joy!” and “Happy New Year!” Some people use it as a space to add a longer holiday greeting as well. This is a great option if you want to leave your card space for photos or artwork.
All vellum overlays are printed in a 5’’x7’’ format on translucent vellum paper with a white undertone.
- Vellum overlays can be paired with any 5’’x7’’ photo or art print card.
- Due to the nature of vellum paper, these cards cannot be foil-pressed. While some designs have elements that appear metallic, there is no foil on the card.
- Pricing begins at $1.98 per card for a total of $208 for 105 cards. Remember, the more cards you buy, the more your cost per card price goes down.
WHAT TO PRINT ON YOUR VELLUM OVERLAY
A vellum overlay is a place to add a warm holiday greeting. Your greeting will depend on the type of card you are sending whether it is a Christmas, general holiday, religious Christmas, or a New Years greeting. Here are a few ideas for words and phrases you can have printed on your vellum overlay:
- Happiest Holidays!
- Merry Christmas!
- Happy Hanukkah!
- Happy New Years!
WHAT TO SAY IN A VELLUM OVERLAY HOLIDAY LETTER
Many people like to send longer letters with their holiday cards to share updates about all that happened in the past year. Printing your letter on a sheer vellum overlay is a wonderful way to share a letter without crowding your holiday card or detracting from the photos or artwork. You’ll want to begin with a holiday greeting of your choosing and close with a warm sign-off, followed by your name. If you are writing a holiday letter, here are some topics you might want to include:
- Kids’ ages and grades in school
- Kids’ sports, school, or extra-curricular achievements
- New hobbies
- Family trips or planned vacations
- Address changes
- Job changes
- New pets
- Favorite memories
- Birth announcements
- Engagement or wedding announcements
WHEN TO SEND
A good rule of thumb for holiday cards is that you want your cards to be delivered between Thanksgiving and New Years. Here’s our failproof timeline for ensuring that your card makes it to friends and family within that window without any stress. You’ll be done before Thanksgiving week!:
- The first week of November: Begin designing your card.
- The second week of November: Begin gathering addresses with our address collection tool.
- The third week of November: Send your cards!
That said, cards are better late than never! If you fall behind, just know that friends and family will be happy to hear from you whenever you’re able to send. The U.S. post office typically takes between two and eight days for domestic mail delivery. If you are shipping internationally, you’ll want to plan for at least two weeks. If you’re short on time and need to make a quick last-minute design, you can text us your photo and follow our easy three-step process to design your card from your phone.
The style you choose for your vellum overlay is a personal choice. Remember to match the overlay design with the style of your holiday card. Here are the different styles you can choose from:
- Simple and Minimalist
- Modern and Edgy
- Classic and Elegant
OTHER SPECIAL TOUCHES
Feeling festive this year? There are so many accents and special touches you can add to your holiday card package to make this year’s greeting extra memorable:
- Envelopes: First impressions are everything. The envelope is the first thing you’re loved ones will see when they receive your card. So set the right tone! The envelope color, pattern, and texture will make your card stand out from the rest. They should feel excited to open your card! You can also add some flair to the inside of the envelope with a patterned envelope liner or even a gold, copper, or silver foil liner. Pairing a custom envelope with a matching card and vellum overlay can really make an elegant first impression.
- Skinnywrap Address Labels: Everyone is short on time during the holidays. So why take the time to write out each return address? Browse through Minted’s Skinnywrap address label templates and customize one to mRXH with the theme and colors of your holiday card. Save yourself time this holiday season and look good doing it!
DESIGN THE REST OF YOUR HOLIDAY CARD TO MATCH
You have a gorgeous vellum overlay, now choose a card to match. Here are a few tips to help you choose a card this holiday season:
- Take advantage of our website filters to narrow down your search. When thinking about style, filter for minimalist, funny holiday cards, or classic to ensure you get the card you’re looking for.
- Curious about what is trending for 2021? Browse our Founder Pick’s section to see what holiday designs have been hand-selected by Minted’s founder.
- Take advantage of our fast and user-friendly card customizer tool to make the card you had in mind a reality. Want even more customization not offered through the tools? Just leave a special request and our design associates will be sure to include it on your proof. If you want to start with a blank canvas, explore our custom cards.
- Ensure every aspect of your card is exactly as you envisioned with unlimited proofs from your dedicated Minted designer.