Your wedding cake will be one of the highlights of the reception and you can make it even more memorable by adding a chic and creative wedding cake topper. While fresh flowers are always a nice idea, many couples are choosing something more unique and personal to top off their dessert.
Need some cake-topper inspiration? We’ve created this guide to help inspire your own one-of-a-kind wedding confection.
- First names – Always a sweet and simple way to personalize your cake.
- Monogram – Go the classic route with a traditional joined monogram or have some fun with a more modern design.
- Initials – Keep things simple with just your first initials.
- Mr. & Mrs. / Mr. & Mr. / Mrs. & Mrs. - Simply classic.
Photo: Dylan & Sarah Photography
Photo: Sweet Monday Photography
- Paper dolls – Modern versions can be customized to match your wedding-day look.
- Painted wooden dolls or clothespins toppers – They’ll add a sweet, handmade touch to your cake.
- Figurines of your pets – Have your favorite furry friend celebrate beside you on your wedding cake!
- Polaroid photos of yourselves – Display the instant photos on a pair of photo stands.
- City skyline – Highlight your city’s photogenic skyline on the top tier.
- Pair of miniature Adirondack chairs – A cute complement to a lakeside or beach wedding.
- Shells, sand dollars, or sea stars – Ask your baker to sculpt these beach motifs from sugar.
- Miniature horseshoes – Fitting if you’re hosting your wedding at a rustic venue like a farm or barn.
- Deer figurines – Complement a woodland wedding with a pair of deer figurines (you could even spray paint them gold!).
- Miniature replica of a local statue or monument - Such as the “LOVE” statue in Philadelphia.
Photo: Clean Plate Pictures
Photo: Jen Huang
- Pair of miniature flamingos - The perfect cake topper for a tropical wedding.
- Pennant flags or felt banner - You could even go the DIY route and make this yourself.
- Pair of pine cones - A great idea for a rustic wedding—easy and (best of all) free!
- Banner of nautical flags - So clever if you’re planning a nautical-themed wedding.
- Paper pinwheels - Another potential DIY idea that’s great for more casual celebrations.
- Himmeli ornaments – These geometric ornaments would look right at home at a modern-themed celebration.
- State cut-outs – Give your home states a wedding dessert shout out.
- A family heirloom cake topper – Highlight a special keepsake atop your own wedding cake.
- Guitar picks – So great if you love to jam together and easy to DIY.
- Lego figurines – The perfect cake topper for a couple of kids at heart.
- Wire tandem bicycle – Bonus points if the topper features the two of you riding off into the sunset.
- Stack of books sculpted from sugar – Ask your cake designer to create miniature versions of your favorite books from sugar.
Photo: Mint Photography
Photo: Diana McGregor
Top off your confection with a cake topper that captures the spirit of your celebration. Many online shops offer custom cake toppers of the phrase of your choice; the most popular options these days are made of paper or laser-cut wood. Some of our favorites phrases:
- Best day ever
- Tied the knot
- Happily ever after
- The best is yet to come
- At last
- For like ever
- We do
- Love is sweet
- And so the adventure begins
- Let’s party
- Oh happy day
Whether you decide to go the more traditional route with a custom cake topper of your names or monogram, or with something more playful and unexpected, like a pair of guitar picks or a tandem bicycle, choosing a wedding-cake topper that reflects your backgrounds and interests is a wonderful way to put a personal stamp on your celebration. And don’t be afraid to get creative with your cake embellishments; often everyday objects like salt-and-pepper shakers or favorite Polaroids of yourselves can turn out to be the perfect detail to personalize your cake.