Wedding Planning Guide
Rustic Wedding Ideas
Photo: Lauren Fair Photography
Rustic weddings strike the perfect balance between country-inspired details and thoughtful vintage touches. And while barn weddings are quite popular, you certainly don’t need to hold your wedding on a farm to create a rustic ambience. Here are our favorite rustic wedding ideas for a chic and romantic country celebration.
Rustic Wedding Stationery Ideas
- Use kraft paper paper for your stationery with a stamp-like typography treatment.
- Add pops of color with the envelope, envelope liner, font color, or stamps.
- Subtle floral designs.
- Chalkboard typography.
- Rustic weddings often mean a more lax dress code, so be clear in your invitation about how you’d like your guests to dress.
Rustic Wedding Attire Ideas
- Coupling your wedding dress with denim or plaid tops (works just as well for the bridal party or the flower girl).
- Deck your wedding party out in cowboy boots (you can rock them, too).
- Cowboy hats and/or bolero ties for the boys, obviously.
- Bridesmaid dresses with fun floral patterns are a cute, casual option.
- For your wedding party’s colors, go bold to contrast against the more muted, natural country tones: orange, turquoise, sea green, royal blue, purple, red, etc.
- Succulent boutonnieres for the groom(s) and/or groomsmen.
Rustic Wedding Flower Ideas
- Simple and clean: daisies or dahlias in pint-size mason jars (bonus points: wrap the jar with burlap and twine).
- Keep your floral arrangements a little loose and less manicured, so they have that rustic, just-picked-from-the-garden look.
- Big, lush sunflowers combined with lavender sprigs for a pop of purple.
- Vintage, rusty milk jugs, pails, or watering cans as vases.
Rustic Wedding Ceremony Ideas
- A ranch, farm, or meadow are idyllic outdoor venues for your country wedding.
- Have the ceremony in front of a barn, with the big barn doors serving as the backdrop.
- Use hay bales as ceremony seating (cover them with blankets so they’re comfortable for guests).
- Have your flower girl carry her petals in an upside-down cowboy hat.
- Tie baby’s breath to the chairs along the ceremony aisle with burlap ribbon.
- Tie your rings to small burlap pillows.
- Depart from the ceremony (or reception) in a vintage pickup truck (bonus points if you can find a car in your wedding color.)
Rustic Wedding Reception Ideas
- Host the reception inside a barn (with some outdoor seating, games, or other activities to keep guests comfortable and cool).
- Rustic wooden signage.
- Chalkboard signage.
- Use a wheelbarrow as a cooler for sodas and beer on ice.
- Use lighted marquee letters for your bar with the word “BAR,” your initials, or your wedding date.
- Place tealight candles in small mason jars to create a warm glow.
Escort card ideas:
- Miniature horse shoes with escort cards tied with twine.
- Mini mason jars with guests’ names (can double as favors).
- Small bundles of baby’s breath tied with twine and an escort card.
- Tape or wrap escort cards to billy balls for a fun twist and pop of color.
- Fall-colored leaves with guests’ names.
- Escort cards attached to escort cards.
- Small log slices with guests’ names and table numbers written on them.
- Long dining tables so it can feel like a cozy dinner party.
- Burlap “Mr. & Mrs.,” “Mr. & Mr.,” or “Mrs. & Mrs”. signs to drape over the back of your dining chairs.
- Hanging string lights can help illuminate your rustic surroundings or venue (and look beautiful in a barn).
- Bunting banners add pops of color to your venue, whether strung across trees or the barn rafters.
- S’mores station as a fun late-night snack in front of the fire is a perfect way to wind down the party.
- Wood panels as the guestbook (can make for great home decor afterward).
Rustic Wedding Cake Ideas
- Two words: naked cakes. They were basically invented for country weddings.
- Top your (naked) wedding cake with strawberries and blueberries or blackberries for a rustic look.
- Have a dessert bar with homemade, handheld sweets (e.g., fresh-baked cookies, brownies, lemon bars, etc.).
- Serve wedding pies instead of cake.
- Throw a dessert potluck for a casual vibe with lots of variety.
- Place your cake tiers atop tree trunk slices.
- All the cake pops.
Rustic Wedding Photography Ideas
- Kiss atop a large bale of hay.
- Your wedding dress hanging in front of barn doors, wood panels, from a tree, or with a pasture backdrop.
- Pose with a romantic heart made of twigs.
- Long shot of you two walking through lush green fields.
- Recreate the infamous American Gothic painting.
Rustic Wedding Favors Ideas
- Personalized mason jars (can also be used as escort cards).
- Personalized shot glasses for whiskey or any other booze (can also be used as escort cards).
- Mini jars of homemade jam.
- Personalized favor bags for guests to take dessert bites home.
- Country-inspired bottle openers (e.g., in the shape of a cowboy boot or hat, wheelbarrow, horse, etc.)