Photo: NBarrett Photography
Ah, the bohemian wedding—a fairly recent trend that has put in some serious roots, and we’re all for it. The boho wedding is marked by its romantic yet free-spirited quality, rustic or vintage feel, and nods to nature. It’s an attractive, gorgeous approach that appears both effortlessly simple and totally chic.
So, if flower crowns, macrame backdrops, and lantern lighting are your thing, then we have some wonderfully whimsical wedding ideas for you. (Spoiler alert: You can never have too many flowers. Of any kind.)
Bohemian Wedding Stationery Ideas
Show off your free-spirited style with these bohemian invitation and stationery ideas:
- Illustrations of dreamcatchers.
- Constellation stationery.
- Hand-drawn floral or feather motifs.
- Rainbow/multi-colored wedding stationery.
- Watercolor wedding stationery.
Bohemian Wedding Attire Ideas
How to keep your bohemian style more chic, and less costume:
- Wedding dresses that aren’t white—think cream or a pale, pale pink.
- Lace wedding dresses.
- Flowers in your hair (e.g., crowns or individual stems placed in your updo).
- Braided hair.
- Walking down the aisle barefoot.
- Vintage wedding dresses (e.g., your mother’s or grandmother’s).
- Suspenders, bow ties, and no jackets for the groomsmen.
- Crocheted wedding dress.
- Having your bridal party wear different shades of the same color.
- Long-sleeve (flowy or not) gowns for the bride and bridesmaids.
- Mismatched bridesmaid dresses.
- Feathers in your hair.
- Turquoise jewelry.
Bohemian Wedding Flower Ideas
Flowers on flowers on flowers. Plus succulents.
- Don’t be afraid to mix flower types and colors—more is more.
- Wildflowers in mason jars for that “hand-picked” look.
- Potted succulent centerpieces instead of flowers.
- Potted herbs like lavender and sage in terra-cotta pots.
- Cascading bouquets of varying flowers.
- Colorful, mismatched flower boutonnieres.
- Bouquets entirely of greenery (without any flowers).
- Amber apothecary bottles as flower vases.
Bohemian Wedding Ceremony Ideas
Say “I do” in proper bohemian style with these unique wedding ceremony ideas:
- Tent-like structure as your altar (or just the poles!).
- Hanging flower garland at altar.
- Small tent made of ribbon or flower garlands as an altar.
- Macrame wedding ceremony backdrop.
- Flower crowns for your guests as they arrive at the ceremony.
- Colorful biodegradable confetti for guests to throw as you exit the ceremony.
Bohemian Wedding Reception Ideas
Bring your boho-chic wedding fantasy to life with these spirited wedding reception decor ideas:
- Wooden wedding signs with botanical designs.
- Write atop salvaged window panes as signage.
- Metallic lanterns filled with candles.
- Stacks of vintage suitcases to elevate floral arrangements or signage.
- Dream catchers as reception decor, woven with lace and/or flowers.
- Wooden swing(s) with roses (everyone will want a picture on it).
- Wooden signs for table numbers.
- Escort cards ideas:
- Feathers as escort cards (you can dye them to match your wedding colors!).
- Miniature dreamcatchers as escort cards.
- Quartz/crystals to weigh down escort cards.
- Gemstones as escort cards.
- Lounge areas with kilim rugs, coffee tables, and throw pillows.
- Picnic-style reception dinner with blankets on grass.
- Twinkle lights hanging over reception tables.
- Tie flowers to hanging paper lanterns.
- Hanging candles over the dessert and/or guest book tables.
- Tablescape inspiration:
- Brass candlesticks with taper candles.
- Floating candles.
- Centerpiece of multiple colored mason jars with wildflowers.
- Succulents and cacti.
- Crystals on each guest’s place setting (can double as favors).
- Large piece of driftwood for guests to sign in lieu of a guest book.
- Haystacks for seating or to elevate flower arrangements and signage.
- Ribbons for each guest to use on the dance floor (the pictures will be amazing).
- Fairy lights around tree trunks.
- Edison bulbs around tents and/or over reception tables.
- Volkswagen camper vans to escort you from the reception (or you can use these as your photo booth).
- Sparklers for the end of the night.
Bohemian Wedding Cake Ideas
Add a vintage flavor to your wedding cakes—or embrace these other delicious dessert ideas:
- Naked (aka “partially frosted”) cakes.
- Serving assorted pies instead of wedding cake.
- A casual dessert potluck.
Bohemian Wedding Favors Ideas
Send your guests home with a favor that captures the boho vibe of your big day.
- Crystals from your place settings.
- Incense sticks.
- Small terrarium favors.
- Personalized dream catchers.
- Mini potted succulents.