Wedding Planning Guide
fall wedding ideas
With the season’s naturally stunning color palette, it’s no surprise that fall is a popular time to tie the knot. As summer’s scorching heat reaches a cool happy medium before winter, your big day is primed for success. Word to the wise: Fall is the precursor to the holiday season, and includes a three-day weekend with Labor Day, so keep guests’ potential travel plans in mind as you plan the perfect autumn wedding.
But enough fine print—let’s dive into our favorite fall wedding ideas and inspiration!
Fall Wedding Attire
Dressing yourself and your wedding party for fall can be beautiful—but also tricky. Depending on when you’re getting married, you might have to deal with fairly drastic day-to-night temperature shift. Here are our top fall wedding attire ideas:
- Pashminas for your bridesmaids that match their dresses to keep them warm.
- Wedding party colors unique for fall: eggplant, deep oranges, chocolate, burgundy.
- Woolen or knit elements: tweed vests for the groomsmen, a knit throw for the bride to keep warm during the reception.
Fall Wedding Flower Ideas
Many of the more popular wedding flowers are out of season in autumn, but there are plenty of beautiful - and refreshingly unexpected - floral arrangements and bouquet ideas to choose from, including our favorites:
- Greenery heavy bouquets
- Deep purple and burgundy flowers for a moody sophisticated look
- You can still go bright with a fall-friendly array of orange and yellow mixed with white flowers
Fall Wedding Ceremony Ideas
There is no shortage of beautiful indoor and outdoor backdrops for your ceremony in the fall. Here are some beautiful ways to bring in your own style to the main event:
- Big full ceremony arch filled with hydrangeas, berries and branches.
- Rustic wicker baskets filled with wraps or blankets for guests to grab on their way to their ceremony seats in case the weather cools during your vows.
Fall Wedding Reception Ideas
Party in seasonal style with our (ever-growing) list of uniquely fall reception decor ideas.
- Choose a venue with rich textural features, such as heavy wooden beams or reclaimed wood floors for a refined yet rustic warmth.
- Embrace fall’s color palette with seasonal color combinations, such as:
- Rust, blush and hunter green
- Burgundy, cream and sage
- Burnt orange, merlot and rose gold
- Navy, mustard and écru
- Warm grey and gold
- Consider incorporating seasonal fruit—like pomegranates, figs or pears—into your table decor for a Vermeer-esque opulence.
- Raw wood and natural linen elements can be offset with tasteful gold touches to set a subtle autumnal mood
- Candles, candles, candles—these set an intimate mood and beautiful lighting.
- Hanging lanterns and string lighting and add a beautiful glow to any indoor or outdoor venue.
Fall Wedding Cake Ideas
You can even tailor your cake for a fall wedding. Here are some of our favorites:
- Adorn your cake with a mix of seasonal fruit, berries and fresh flowers
- Fall is the perfect season to roll out a chocolate wedding cake
- Go sheer when it comes to icing, some of the layers will peek through adding seasonally appropriate rustic refinement.
- Or skip the cake entirely and serve an assortment of pies with your favorite seasonal fillings
Fall Wedding Favor Ideas
Send off your nearest and dearest with love and gratitude, with these fall-friendly favor ideas:
- Small pine tree saplings for guests to plant at home
- Bespoke spice mix in an amber tinted jar
- Cedar wood scented candle