The sweetest part (literally) of the wedding planning process is choosing your wedding cake! But before you sign the contract, be sure to ask your baker or cake designer all the important questions. We have prepared a list of the top 10 questions to ask during your wedding cake consultation.
Does my wedding date work with your schedule?
This is the most important interview question to ask a baker. Before you make a visit in person or schedule a tasting, ask if the cake baker has availability on the days leading up to your wedding to prepare your towering dessert. Popular cake vendors often book up fast, so don’t put this wedding planning to-do list item off until the last minute.
What are my cake flavor and filling choices?
Each cake baker should be able to provide a list of options for flavors and filling. If you have your heart set on a certain type of cake, such as red velvet or carrot cake, this is the time to check if it’s something they can make for you. Request some of your top flavor pairings before your sample tastings so the baker can have them all prepared and ready for you to try.
Do you offer organic, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free options?
If you or one of your guests has special dietary restrictions, you’ll need to find a cake baker who can accommodate them. Ask about these options if you need something other than a traditional cake. If your cake does end up containing gluten or nuts, be sure to relay this message to your wedding guests on your dessert signs.
Do you design custom cakes, or do I select from set designs?
This is a key factor in how to choose your wedding cake. If you don’t have any particular details you want for your cake, it helps to be able to choose from the baker’s selection of set designs. But if you have a particular look or style in mind (or you want it to match your wedding stationery), it’s important to find a baker who will work with your custom concept. You may want to review our roundup of 27 beautiful wedding cake looks to consider.
We’d like to use fresh flowers on our cake. Can you work with our florist to do so?
One of the most beautiful ways to enhance your cake is to add fresh flowers. Many bakers will offer this option, but if you want the cake to match perfectly to your bouquet or other floral arrangements, be sure to find out whether they’ll collaborate with your florist. In most cases, the florist will bring the flowers directly to your wedding venue and add them to the cake the morning of the reception.
What’s your delivery process?
This question to ask a cake baker for weddings is critical to the logistics of your big day. Most will offer delivery to local venues for an added fee (so be sure to factor that into your total budget). If that’s an option, it’s wise to take advantage of it since they know the safest way to transport the cake and will be able to get it set up for you at the reception. Coordinate with the venue so the baker knows exactly where to go when they arrive.
Do you rent cake stands, cake knives, and/or cake toppers?
Don’t skip over this question to ask at a wedding cake consultation. If the baker doesn’t provide these items, you’ll want to plan ahead and bring your own to the reception. It would be embarrassing if you had nothing to cut the cake with! Make sure any cake stands you purchase are the correct size to accommodate the cake. When it comes to selecting a cake topper, we have a great list of unique cake topper ideas worth reviewing!
Can we freeze the top tier? Will you provide a box so we can save it?
Are you hoping to enjoy a slice of your wedding cake after the honeymoon or on your first wedding anniversary? This classic wedding tradition actually dates back many centuries to when married couples usually had a child within the first year of being married. The preserved wedding cake could be brought out to celebrate the birth of the child. Find out if your baker provides freezing directions and a box so you too can practice this tradition.
How do you price your wedding cakes?
If budget is a big factor for you in how to pick a wedding cake baker, you’ll want to prioritize this question. Many bakers price their cakes by the slice, with additional fees for things like specialty fillings, custom designs, cake stand rentals, and delivery to the venue. In addition, some bakers charge separately for the top tier. If you are planning a smaller event or micro wedding, you may opt for a smaller, more decedant cake, that will also save on your total cost. According to a recent Brides.com article, the average wedding cake cost is around $350. We have organized a few ways to save on your total cake costs, in case your budget is tight.
What is your refund policy if we need to cancel our order?
What if you need to delay your wedding? Couples planning weddings in late 2020 and early 2021 know all about the complexities of solidifying wedding details during a global pandemic. Will your baker simply move the order out to a new date? Will you incur a rescheduling or cancellation fee to your original order? These are important questions to ask your wedding cake baker regarding cancellations. Some may offer a refund if you cancel far enough in advance, while others may require full payment.
AVAILABILITY AND EXPERIENCE
- Do you have other weddings or events on the weekend of my wedding?
- How long have you been a professional baker/cake maker?
- How many wedding cakes do you make a year?
- Do you have a portfolio I can look through?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Who will make my wedding cake?
- Do you offer other types of desserts?
“The Perks”, designed by Melissa Egan of Pistols
CAKE DESIGN AND FLAVORS
- What cake size and shape do you recommend for our guest count?
- We have a few visions and ideas in mind based on pictures of other cakes we have seen online? Are you able to recreate the ideas?
- We don’t have a particular look in mind. Can you recommend ideas based on our budget and theme?
- Do you specialize in a certain kind of cake?
- Is buttercream or fondant primarily used as your finishing?
- Do you have a set menu of flavor combinations, or can we mix and match cakes and fillings?
- What’s your favorite cake to make or the one that gets rave reviews?
- What kinds of ingredients do you use?
- Do you make sugar flowers?
- Will you sketch my wedding cake design?
- Do you provide a cake stand? How do you plan to display the cake?
- How far in advance will my wedding cake be prepared?
- What happens if the cake is damaged in transit?
- If we rent items from you, how and when should they be returned?
PRICING AND PAYMENT
- Is there a minimum cost when ordering a cake from you?
- Does the pricing include the top tier?
- Are multiple, smaller cakes more cost-effective than a single large cake?
- How can I maximize my budget?
- Are there any additional fees I should know about, such as delivery and set up?
- When can I come in for a tasting?
- Is there a fee for the cake tasting?
- How far in advance do we need to order our cake?
- Is there a deposit and what does it cost?
- When will the final payment be collected?
- How far in advance should I let you know of any changes to guest counts, colors, etc.?
- At what time do we receive a contract?