Wedding Planning Guide
"Will You Be My Bridesmaid?"
Everything you need to know to pop the question to your future bridesmaids.
"Bridesmaid Bouquet" bridesmaid card
By Haley Warner
Now it's your turn to pop the question! A bridesmaid proposal is the bride's opportunity to ask "Will you be my bridesmaid?" to her VIPs—a.k.a. the gals (and guys!) she wants in her wedding party. Asking your close friends to be bridesmaids shows them how important they are to you, and having a crew of helpers makes all the wedding planning (and celebrating!) so much more fun.
These days, brides are coming up with the sweetest ways to ask their pals to be in their wedding, from heartfelt bridesmaid proposal cards to gift boxes filled with treats. Need some inspiration? Here are some of our favorite bridesmaid proposal ideas.
CREATIVE BRIDESMAID PROPOSAL IDEAS
Go above and beyond a phone call or email with these fun, playful ways to ask your bridesmaids to be a member of your wedding squad.
- This one's a classic: Write a heartfelt message to each person in a stylish "Will You Be My Bridesmaid" card and include a favorite photo of the two of you.
- Create a personalized gift box for each person (see more on this below) filled with some sweet treats and goodies, along with a handwritten note letting them know how much their relationship means to you.
- Fill a balloon with confetti and a note with a safety pin inside to “pop!” the question; surprise them by delivering the balloon in person.
- If everyone in your squad lives locally, invite them over for pizza night or a dinner party and then raise a toast—pop the question to them with personalized champagne glasses and bottles of bubbly.
- Set up a one-on-on coffee date with each person and ask the barista ahead of time to write "Will you be my bridesmaid?" on the cup instead of your friend's name.
- Give each person a special dress hanger that's been personalized with their name, for them to use on the wedding day.
- Treat your pals to mani-pedis at the nail salon and gift them with a bottle of Essie's "Bachelorette Bash" polish, along with a card explaining they'll all need to wear the color on the wedding day.
- Write a thoughtful message in a "Will You Be My Bridesmaid" card and tuck an enamel pin inside that says "Bridesmaid" (you can find these on Etsy).
BRIDESMAID PROPOSAL CARDS: WHAT TO WRITE INSIDE
Asking your besties to be in your bridal party via a bridesmaid proposal card is a tried-and-true way to let them know how much their friendship means to you and get them excited for what's to come. Deliver the card in person if you can or send the card in the mail with a small gift (a mini bottle of champagne or a sweet treat, if you have the budget).
Not sure what to write in the bridesmaid proposal card? The words will come to you but here are some ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
- “It’s my turn to pop the question.”
- “Help me keep my shit together.”
- “I’ll only be a happy bride if my best friend is by my side.”
- “I need you help to hold my dress up while I pee.”
- “I can’t say “I do” without you.”
- “Plan with me, stand with me, cry with me, laugh with me. Will you be my bridesmaid?”
- “My “I do” would not be the same without you.”
- “Welcome to my bride tribe.”
- “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and you.”
- “I got my rock, now I need my flock.”
- “I’ve got my guy, now I need my girls.”
- “Without you, it wouldn't be a bridal party.”
- “Help make the best day ever even better by being my bridesmaid.”
- “Half of the groomsmen are single. Be my bridesmaid?”
WHAT TO PUT IN A BRIDESMAID PROPOSAL BOX
Treat your besties to a box chock full of thoughtful goodies that they can use before the wedding as well as on the big day.
THEME: LET'S CELEBRATE!
- "Will You Be My Bridesmaid" card with a handwritten note
- A framed "Heart Snapshot Mix" photo gift of favorite pictures of the two of you
- Mini bottle of champagne
- Glassine envelope filled with confetti or a DIY confetti popper
THEME: PREPPED & PAMPERED
- Nail polish
- Eye mask
- Lip gloss
- Bath salts or fizzy bath bombs
- Miniature potted succulent
- Floral-print robe (that she can also wear for getting-ready photos on the wedding day)
- Personalized jewelry (initial necklaces, stud earrings in the shape of a rope knot, lockets, signet rings, etc.)
- Jewelry dish personalized with her initial
- Box or bottle of matchsticks and a candle
- Mini bottle of their favorite perfume
- Cozy wrap or scarf
- French macaron cookies