After secretly tying the knot during a family vacation to the Oregon Coast, Kim Carey (who is a Minted designer herself!) and George Cox III returned home to Southern California and were surprised with an elopement dinner thrown by friends at the Malibu Cafe. The couples’ pals Lydia Campbell and Minted designer Renee Pulve planned a festive reception with bright pops of red and blue, all inspired by the couple’s retro style.
The couple: Kim Carey and George Cox III
Occupations: Pharmaceuticals Regulatory Affairs (Kim), Animation Production Coordinator (George)
Based in: Ventura, CA
Elopement date: September 5, 2015
Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach, Oregon
Reception date: September 19, 2015
Reception location: Malibu Cafe at Calamigos Ranch, Malibu, CA
Number of guests (reception): 10
Photographer (ceremony): Stephen Grossman
Photographer (reception): Renee Pulve
Reception party planners: Renee Pulve & Lydia Campbell
Dessert: Sprinkles Cupcakes
How did you and George meet?
I was looking for advice on buying a pen tablet for my computer. A friend put me in touch with George, who is a skilled digital artist.
Tell us about the proposal!
It was Christmas 2012 and George gave me a gift that was actually a puzzle to figure out. Gift #1 contained the hint “Will.” Gift #2 had the hint “You” and so on… For the last clue, he presented me with a blue topaz ring that I had picked out ages ago and thought he’d forgotten about.
Please tell us about your elopement!
We had a small, secret ceremony in Oregon with immediate family only. We had been looking for just the right place for over two years when George’s parents invited us to join them on their vacation to Oregon. When we realized that Ecola State Park was where they filmed The Goonies, we knew that was the spot. Then, our friends threw us a surprise “elopement dinner” at Malibu Cafe three weeks later.
1. “Rustic Retro Surprise” wedding reception invitation, custom-designed by Renee Pulve/Smudge Design.
2. Mason jars were painted opaque white and filled with brightly colored paper blooms. “For the wedding ceremony, my sister cut a bouquet for me at an organic farm,” says Kim. “And then for the dinner party, my friend Lydia recreated the flowers in paper.” The dinner tables at Malibu Cafe were topped with black-and-white runners hand-sewn by Lydia to match the groom’s shirt.
3. The happy couple George and Kim. Their retro style inspired the party theme and invitation design.
4. Guests enjoyed colorful cupcakes from Sprinkles for dessert.
5. Renee and Lydia decorated the restaurant space with a colorful bunting banner that spelled out the newlyweds’ names. “Up Up and Away” bunting banner by Kelli Hall for Minted.
6. Blue handkerchiefs purchased from Hobby Lobby served as napkins at each place setting.
Where did you get your dress?
I was looking for something retro and a little different to go with George’s retro style, and found my dress on Modcloth. I also created a fascinator to wear the day of the wedding that incorporated my late father’s “U.S.” pin from when he was in the Air Force in the 1960s.
What were some of your favorite reception details?
The invitation (a Renee Pulve original, designed to match our wedding attire), the Minted banner with our names, and the paper flowers. Lydia also sewed a table runner that matched George’s retro wedding shirt.
What were some of your fondest memories from the day?
Having so many of our closest friends in one place.
Any advice for brides who are starting to plan their wedding?
Listen openly to people’s well-meaning advice, but in the end, do what is right for the two of you.
Retro starbursts in small jars: Hobby Lobby
Tabletop clipboard (holding photo of Kim and George): Michaels
Paper straws: Minted
Cupcake toppers (used on straws): Minted
More Minted Real Weddings:
MORE AFTER THE
• Whitney & Kadmiel in Chicago
• Emily & David in Annapolis, MD
• Kelly & Andrew in San Clemente, CA
• Diane & Kaelem in Toronto
• Megan & Leo at Carondelet House, Los Angeles
• Leah & Mike at Los Poblanos, Albuquerque, NM
• Grace & Michael at Reif Estate Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
• Julia & Deric at Escala, Seattle
• Shelby & Douglas at Castle Hill, Keswick, VA