Written by Annie Clark
For the past 10 years, one of my favorite holiday traditions has been the hotly anticipated Holiday Card Challenge winner announcements. Having participated since the very first challenge back in 2008, I remember eagerly refreshing the challenge page and waiting not so patiently for Minted to reveal who took the top prize. Each year’s winner announcement means that I now have the go-ahead to break out the decorations and put on my favorite holiday records — totally normal to do this in September; after all, we designers have been thinking about Holiday since April!
Every year I wonder how the artist community will surpass last year’s assortment, and without fail, I am continuously blown away by the innovative designs, your sophisticated use of color, incredible illustration skills, and perfectly kerned type.
I am honored to announce the top 11-20 winners, as determined by voters, for the What a Bright Time Non-Foil-Pressed Holiday Photo Card Challenge — especially because I admire each and every one of these artists. Though it’s a little awkward to describe one of my own designs in this roundup, I did my best, and in case you’re curious: The Artist Relations team asked me to write this announcement before we even knew which designs were deemed winners.
2018 What a Bright Time Holiday Photo Card Challenge
Top 11-20 Non-Foil Winners
20. Rachel Nanfelt of Alethea and Ruth created an eye-catchingly classic Christmas illustration with a wintry touch in “Scripted Pine Branch Berries.”
19. Hooray Creative’s “Festive Watercolor Florals” artfully combines watercolor artwork with a folkart/wood block–inspired floral pattern. Anchored with a single color palette it perfectly highlights the photo.
18. Lori Wemple’s “Storied” uses a simple grid, making the perfect placement of photos and text feel effortless.
17. Susan Moyal puts her signature touch on painted seasonal foliage in “Holly & Greens.”
16. Angela Marzuki’s dramatic swath of greenery, adds an unexpected modern edge to this elegant design.
15. Jennifer Wick’s deft typographic skills are showcased beautifully in “Joy in the Middle.” The artful flourish of the “J” adds the right amount of flare to elevate this simple typographic design.
14. Hannah Williams’s “Festive Foliage Frame” card is nothing short of romantic bliss, with its intricately designed, poetically placed florals.
13. “Watercolor Juniper” is a breathtakingly refreshing take on illustrative evergreens by London artist Catherine Everett of Everett Paper Goods.
12. My toddler daughter inspired my appreciation for the simple things in life as well as my design, “Simplicite.”
11. Alethea and Ruth bookends this edition of the What a Bright Time countdown with bold typography and lush botanical illustrations.
Not only is Annie Clark a Minted Creative Director, she’s also a Minted artist and one of the very first Minted employees.
Stay tuned! We’ll continue to announce Minted Holiday 2018 winners in the Minted Community > Winners section of Julep.
* Please note that we will keep the Challenge page hidden until our final winners’ announcement. At that time, you will be able to see your final score and ranking on the Challenge page.
Published September 11, 20181 COMMENT