Written by Katherine Philpot
On April 12, we kicked off The It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like the Holiday Photo Card Challenge, our 10th annual Holiday Photo Card Challenge. We asked the Minted artist community to push the boundaries of holiday card design. Because our customers count on Minted to find fresh, innovative designs, we look to our independent artists to think outside the box, and craft a card that they would be proud to send to their own friends and family. Minted artists did just that, and today we’re thrilled to begin counting down the top winners, as determined by voters, for this esteemed Minted Design Challenge, one of our biggest competitions of the year.
This year, our international artist community submitted 5,461 designs, and our consumers and community of voters generated a whopping 2,447,005 votes — that’s an additional 425,000 votes compared to last year.
Please help me congratulate the following artists on their remarkable work!
2017 HOLIDAY PHOTO CARD CHALLENGE: TOP 40-21 WINNERS
- Kristie Kern takes a bold, clever approach with spreading out the letters of “joy” to embrace the photo in “Graphic Joy.”
- Carolann Belk of Pink House Press’ makes the word “Bright” pop in gold foil against the berry-red background in this design.
- A family can tell a storied tale for the holiday season with this multi-photo “Instant Gallery” design by Olivia Kanaley.
- In her artful, statement-making style, Kelli Hall gives “Noel” an updated look with two brushed gold strokes.
- In this back-to-back winning design by Kelli Hall, “Joy” elegantly adorns the photo in bright red.
- Shannon Chen of Four Wet Feet Studio carefully places golden leaves in the upper and lower edges of the design to ring in gilded holidays.
- In this elegant framed design, Annie Mertlich of Wildfield Paper Co.’s hand-painted florals work hand in hand with the photo to celebrate the holiday season.
- Susan Asbill’s design is full of heart with this artfully placed message.
- Beautiful things really do come in small packages, as evidenced in Three Kisses Studio’s splendid design.
- With artistically placed holly hugging the “Joyful” message, curiouszhi design accomplishes so much in so little space in her design.
- Angela Marzuki sweeps the canvas, giving the photo a unique painterly treatment in this design.
- Winter is full of wonder in this magical, shiny take on a classic style in Kristen Smith’s design.
- Annie Mertlich of Wildfield Paper Co. beautifully hand-paints olive branches and berries in this captivating classic design.
- Reminiscent of her 2016 first-place–winning Holiday Photo Card design, Susan Moyal outlines a circular photo with sprigs of branches and berries.
- Jessie Steury’s gilded message of “Peace on Earth” makes a heartfelt impact in this design.
- The deep-blue background in Genna Cowsert’s design is a bold backdrop for good cheer and the red pop of winterberries.
- Ashlee Townsend’s scalloped circular design gives a portrait a golden halo.
- Snow and Ivy’s gilded frame design is a bold finishing touch.
- Carolyn MacLaren’s “Singalong” design boasts a rainbow of artfully placed fa-la-las to complement a family photo.
- Grae Sales’ “Snowy Silent Night” design adds a touch of sweet dreams to a family photo.
Katherine Philpot is Minted’s Vice President and General Manager of Holiday.
*Please note that we will keep the Challenge page hidden until our last winners’ announcement. At that time, you will be able to see your final score and ranking on the Challenge page.
Stay tuned! Next, we’ll announce 20-4th place for the Holiday Photo Card Challenge. To track our holiday winners announcements, visit the Minted Community > Winners section of Julep.
More Winning Designs from our 2017 Holiday Design Challenges:
- 2017 Religious Christmas Card Challenge: Top 11-20 Winners
- 2017 Religious Christmas Card Challenge: Top 10-1 Winners