Written by Sara Albers and Melissa Fenlon of Alice & Lois
Every holiday season we love to make ornaments. Last year we shared a few faves: a personalized initial ornament and our fabric-covered tree ornament. Today we’re excited to share the latest addition to our DIY ornament obsession, these modern and colorful tree adornments made from one-inch wood blocks. We chose bright, unexpected colors to add some fun and flair to the tree—choose your favorite color combinations to match your holiday decor.
Click through for the step-by-step instructions…
• One-inch wood blocks
• Eye screws (we used the 3/4″ size)
• Craft paint
• Paint brush
• Washi tape
1. Tape off an angled area on one side of a wood block.
2. Apply two coats of craft paint onto the block; I painted just the front of block but you can paint as many sides as you like.
3. Once the paint is dry, use the nail and hammer to make a hole on the top of the block (just a few taps will suffice, you don’t need to make a deep hole). Remove nail.
4. Insert the eye screw into the hole and twist until tight.
5. Pull twine through the eye and tie a knot.
6. Hang these babies on the tree!
Photos: Sara Albers
More Holiday Ornament DIYs:
• Personalized Initial Christmas Ornament
• Marbled Clay Christmas Ornaments
• Fabric-Covered Christmas Tree Ornaments
• Retro Painted Ornaments
• Scandinavian-Inspired Clay Ornaments