Written by Sara Albers and Melissa Fenlon of Alice & Lois
Mother’s Day is next weekend, can you believe it? If you’re still stumped on what to get your mama, we have a ridiculously simple DIY gift we’re sure she’ll love. All you need is a simple natural-wood plate, which we turned into a modern jewelry dish or collection catch-all. To turn it into an even-more-special keepsake, paint your mom’s initials; I added a gold heart and the year on the bottom of the plate. Read on for the full tutorial to make this DIY Mother’s Day jewelry dish.
Click through for the simple step-by-step instructions…
• Wood plate (we used one from Crate & Barrel)
• Thin leather or suede cording (can be faux as well)
• E6000 glue
• Thin tape
• Gold paint
• Paint brush
1. Create a narrow line down the length of the plate using two pieces of tape.
2. Paint between the strips of tape using the gold paint (you may need a few coats). Let dry.
3. While drying, cut two 3-inch pieces of cord.
4. Apply glue to ends of cord and adhere to side of plate. You can use tape to hold down the cord to dry.
5. Peel back the tape when the paint is dry.
6. Wrap the handmade jewelry dish for your mama!
Photos: Sara Albers