By Olivia Kanaley, DIY Editor
Keep loved ones close this holiday season with these DIY ornaments. Ribbons and sewing trims become tree trimmings with the addition of your favorite snapshots — from this year’s family portrait to an heirloom photo. Read on for more creative ideas on how to make these your own.
Get the full tutorial after the jump …
Some fun ideas for these …
• Commemorate your child’s first Christmas
• Use as gift tags — the recipient will fee extra special
• Gift a set of these to the grandparents featuring each of their grandkids
• Turn the annual family portrait into an ornament each year — think of all the smiles (and cringes) they’ll bring in years to come
• Have some spare holiday photo cards? Trim them down to make an ornament or two.
• Photocopy old family snapshots
• Commemorate a marriage or engagement
• Don’t forget your pets! Furry friends make adorable ornaments.
Ready to make a few of these? Let’s get started with supplies …
• Wood rectangles (sold at craft stores)
• Assorted trims
• White glue
• Craft knife and cutting surface
Step 1: Begin by trimming your photos to size with the craft knife. Trace around the wood rectangle with the knife to cut the photo to size. Be sure to do this carefully, and on a safe surface.
Step 2: Brush a thin coat of glue onto the wood with a paintbrush and adhere photo. Wipe away any excess glue and place under something heavy for a few minutes to dry.
Step 3: Decorate with trims. Easy: Create a framed effect by gluing trims around the edge of the photo (adhere to either the front or the back of the ornament, depending on what looks best to you). Easier: Just attach a loop of ribbon the back with glue. Wide ribbon equals big impact with little effort.
Step 4: Hang on the tree and enjoy!