By Alison of The Alison Show
A bunting instantly dresses up any room for the holidays. Plus, you can complete this simple and chic leather bunting in the time it takes to watch a Twilight movie. Leather seems intimidating to work with, but really it’s an ideal material. It doesn’t fray, it will last for years, and this project requires no special tools.
Continue reading for the full tutorial…
FREE printable stencil and bunting pattern (download here)
10×16” piece of soft, smooth leather
2 yards of ribbon or cord
An xacto knife and cutting mat
Angled paint brush
Single hole punch
If you want more info on the different types of leather and where to buy it I have an instructional video you can watch called Leather 101
HOW TO MAKE YOUR BUNTING:
1. Print out the stencil and pattern piece. Separate the letters by cutting them into 8 individual squares.
2. Create your letter stencils by cutting away the black letters. Be sure to save the inside of you “A”.
3. Using a pencil to trace the bunting pattern piece 8 times onto the leather. Cut out the bunting pieces.
4. With your pencil lightly trace each letter into the leather with your pencil. You can lightly erase any mistakes.
5. With acrylic paint and an angled paintbrush fill in your letters. You’ll probably want to do two coats.
6. When the paint has dried lightly mark the two top corners with pencil, use these marks and a single-hole punch to make two holes.
7. String your ribbon or cord through the holes from back to front so that the cord shows on top of the leather bunting piece.
8. Proudly display your work of art for years to come!
Find more of Alison on her blog.4 COMMENTS