Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Log in to your minted.com account

• OK ladies, either my brain is mush and isn't giving me the answer stored somewhere up there or I just don't know the answer...

How do I create a TIFF at 300dpi that is large enough for a background in the art challenge (24 x 36), has good quality, but not a monster file size?

I created a simple background texture in Photoshop (solid color with some texturing on edges from a brush), made dimensions 24 x 36 in at 300 dpi, saved as a TIFF but it's 300 MB !!!!!

That's ridiculously large.  What can I do to reduce the size of this image so I can use it but not have such a large file?

Thanks,

Amy

• Hi Amy!

I'm so glad you brought this up, cause I've been struggling with this myself. I was ready to rip my hair out last night, cause it 'only' took me about an hour to save the 5 different sizes for the art prints! Even the 5x7 took a good 5 minutes to save!

It's probably better to prepare those files directly in illustrator so you don't have to move them in between PS and AI, but I have to admit that I feel more at home in PS...

Hopefully someone has an answer :-)

• I'm having the same problem! However, when I saved as psd instead of tifs, they seemed to be smaller for some reason! Not significantly smaller (going from 200 MBs to 170) but it helped a little...

• Hi All,

I do a lot of gigantic graphics for trade shows, banners, outdoor signage, etc. Typically, in my experience, you create the artwork at a certain percentage [half size, quarter size] so that the final artwork will be so many DPI [dots per inch], as required by the printer's mechanical specs. Not sure if Minted has any of these types of specs available, but that would help the process. So for example, if you wanted a 24 x 36" design to print at 150 DPI at 100%, and if you created the file at half size, you would have to set it up at 12 x 18 @ 300 DPI. Again, this is for PSD, a raster program, and not for AI.

Regarding file size: PSD files are typically larger because they contain all the info and layers for your file build. You should always keep them in case you need to go back to the original. Then do a "save as" and create your tif file -  make sure you do "merge visible" and then "flatten" in your layers palette, so all your extraneous stuff will be compressed and discarded and this should cut down on the file size. CMYK [print] files are larger than RGB [screen]. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to help as best I can.

• Thanks Carol!  A designer friend of mine said to do a TIFF with LZW compression...cuts the files size down by at least half.  Tried what Carol said, "merge visible" then "flattened", then saved as a TIFF with LZW compression.  Took it from 300 MB to 50 MB.

• Thanks Amy, good to know! Most of these file save options are something that I'm unfamiliar with and mostly guessing my way through. I really need to update my knowledge on this! I will check the LZW box from now on :-)

• Amy, glad I could help.

Simone, you don't want to check LZW compression unless you absolutely need to make your file smaller. If you can keep the most "information" with the file, that's the best way to go.

If you have other questions, let me know.

• I also want to add that if you need any type of software training, Lynda.com is the absolute best IMHO! It is subscription-based [$25/mo or yearly], video training, and it is an amazing resource for learning any type of software. Because software is changing so rapidly, many of the agencies and companies I deal with have subscriptions for their employees. You can't beat it! Check it out when you get a chance.

• Good point Carol, I've used lynda.com before, it's the best! I was thinking about signing up for a month when I said that I need to update my knowledge on all the different file saving options. A lot of the intro tutorials on lynda are free of charge, so you can familiarize yourself with the workspace of new software for free :-)

• wow..cool.