Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Log in to your minted.com account

• I always see such beautiful textures in everyone's work. I was just curious how everyone creates them. Do you use free background photos or do you create them yourselves?

• I'm definitely a texture addict! I have a few websites I like to frequent like lostandtaken.com that have textures available for commercial use. But I really love to take my own photos and make my own textures. I try to get out of the house every day and go for a walk. If I have my trusty camera with me it doesn't quite feel like exercise :) Where I live are tons of great textures of stone from old buildings which tend to be my favorites, but you never know where you'll find something that looks great in a design. Some other favorites of mine have been crumbled cookies and kitchen messes - the husband thinks I'm crazy of course lol. I've also given my scanner a good workout with old books I've found at the book store (great for those old paper textures and those canvas wrapped ones scan really well) as well as items of clothing and various things I've painted. Don't ever be afraid to get creative!

• It's not as hard as it looks. I think it's more about layering lots of different textures either in Photoshop or Illustrator until you have the effect you are looking for. Try some videos here. There are some really good ones that describe how to add texture to backgrounds, shapes etc.

• thanks everyone!

• That's a great site Moglea!

Rachel, I just came across this tutorial the other day that you might find useful: http://vectips.com/tutorials/creating-seamless-textures/

• awesome! i'll check it out. thank you!

• As soon as the weather cooperates again, I'm going on a texture treasure hunt with my camera. I love taking closeups of anything from wood to grass and then playing with them in photoshop to create textures. Lately, I've been using a lot of photoshop and illustrator patterns and just altering them to freshen them up.